[Public WebGL] EXT_shader_texture_lod in WebGL2?

Maksims Mihejevs [email protected]
Sat Jan 21 14:18:33 PST 2017

I'm not sure ETC1 is supported by desktop either, but has almost identical
support stats. It suggests that they have same code-path for both formats.

OES_texture_float shows high support, but reality is that in some cases it
is not "real 32bit", we've got to that problem where been packing stuff
into it assuming it was 32 bits, but on some Android it was coming totally
weird. So we've implemented a test for precision of it:
https://github.com/playcanvas/engine/blob/master/src/graphics/device.js#L721

Bliting depth texture in WebGL 2 on Windows (only) does gets into CPU path,
making performance to go below the floor.
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/angleproject/issues/detail?id=1710

And I bet there is much more, of cases. The problem is profiling them is
nearly impossible, and when performance is bad in complex applications,
developer spends a lot of time figuring out what's the heck. And after
long-long pain, things might point to one or the other thing, again, ANGLE..

*ANGLE - is great, and WebGL wouldn't be possible without it.*
But there are certain ideology used, that are extremely harmful to whole
WebGL platform. CPU paths and dishonesty of API - is one of them.

Kind Regards,
Max