[Public WebGL] EXT_shader_texture_lod in WebGL2?

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Mon Jan 23 09:45:57 PST 2017

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Kenneth Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

> We expect that it will roll out quickly to most browsers and operating
> systems.

I've crunched the numbers on that a bit, and I've found that although a
Chrome and Firefox rollout will will bring the UA support to something
close to  73%. Around 10% of WebGL1 contexts come with major performance
caveats (meaning mostly swiftshader/cpu paths, etc.) and will be unusable,
even for WebGL1. Since DX11/GL3 hardware is required for ES 3.0, I've also
found that on the steam hardware stats around 15% of devices are not
capable of that, incidentally, a bit more than 15% of Steam hardware survey
devices are Intel integrated something or other, it's therefore logical to
assume that a large chunk of the Intel integrated cards will have trouble
with ES 3.0. Unfortunately, on the general web (and not on steam), these
comprise around 50% of the hardware seen.

Therefore the initial support level you can reasonably expect is likely to
be between 30-50%. And this level will remain in place for as long as:

   - PC/Laptop retailers continue selling bottom of the barrel Intel cards
   - Users do not upgrade their bottom of the barrel Intel cards
   - Microsoft and Apple do not Implement WebGL2.

I'd like to be wrong about this, I desperately do, but I think you've got
to be realistic.