[Public WebGL] EXT_shader_texture_lod in WebGL2?

Kenneth Russell [email protected]
Mon Jan 23 09:59:37 PST 2017

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 9:45 AM, Florian Bösch <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Kenneth Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> We expect that it will roll out quickly to most browsers and operating
>> systems.
>>

> I've crunched the numbers on that a bit, and I've found that although a
> Chrome and Firefox rollout will will bring the UA support to something
> close to  73%. Around 10% of WebGL1 contexts come with major performance
> caveats (meaning mostly swiftshader/cpu paths, etc.) and will be unusable,
> even for WebGL1. Since DX11/GL3 hardware is required for ES 3.0, I've also
> found that on the steam hardware stats around 15% of devices are not
> capable of that, incidentally, a bit more than 15% of Steam hardware survey
> devices are Intel integrated something or other, it's therefore logical to
> assume that a large chunk of the Intel integrated cards will have trouble
> with ES 3.0. Unfortunately, on the general web (and not on steam), these
> comprise around 50% of the hardware seen.

While I don't have concrete numbers for market penetration of various Intel
GPUs, Intel has been a strong contributor to the WebGL 2.0 effort, and have
done a tremendous amount of work on their graphics drivers on Linux,
Windows and macOS to pass the conformance suite. Linux with Intel GPUs is
one of the configurations on which Google submitted WebGL 2.0 conformance
results.

The Intel HD 4000 (released in 2012) and later GPUs should be able to
support WebGL 2.0. I think that this will reach a majority of the users
likely to try using WebGL 2.0.

-Ken