[Public WebGL] Use powerPreference to request high or low power GPUs

Dean Jackson [email protected]
Mon Jul 2 17:13:15 PDT 2018

> On 3 Jul 2018, at 01:59, Rachid El Guerrab <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I second Gregg Tavares's question about what's reported back.
>
> How can we tell if we're running with the high-performance option or not?

Why should it matter? A relatively small set of people have dual GPU systems - and most people don't have powerful GPUs. And that's before you consider mobile devices.

Also, in Safari on macOS, you don't necessarily get what you ask for anyway. You might ask for low-power but get high-performance because another app (or page) on the system has fired up that GPU. In other words, you have to write your content to work on the average GPU.

But if you really have a good reason to know, you can query the GPU vendor string. It would be up to you to decide whether you think that's a high-performance GPU.

Dean