[Public WebGL] Rendering to HDR displays (10bits per color component)

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Thu Jul 12 03:06:27 PDT 2018

My knowledge on the topic might be a bit outdated, but here's my
understanding.

Neither OpenGL nor Direct3D support HDR front/back buffers and even though
the GPU might be able to output a HDR signal to the monitor (something that
previously was only possible with ugly hacks in medical imaging setups with
a special driver that interlaced 8-bit and then tacked on 2 more bits into
a seperate render target), when you render hardware accelerated all your
output values get clamped to 8-bits per component when you put them into
gl_FragColor for the rasterizer.

Please correct me if this is wrong (by now).