[Public WebGL] Rendering to HDR displays (10bits per color component)

Javi Agenjo [email protected]
Thu Jul 12 03:33:58 PDT 2018

I see, thanks for the info Florian. I didnt know front/back was limited to
8 bits on desktop computers, but if Chrome supports HDR video rendering (as
far as they say), there has to be some sort of pipeline going on outputing
to 10bits, unless it is all happenning beyond the pipeline through some
sort of decoding chip inside the GPU.

Im asking because Im working in an European project related to HDR (HDR4EU
<https://www.upf.edu/web/hdr4eu>) and there are companies pushing HDR
displays for consumers so there are reasons to expect changes in the near
future, with better quality and gamuts. So it would be interesting to see
some suggestions about how browsers can adapt to that change in the next
years.

Cheers