[Public WebGL] Rendering to HDR displays (10bits per color component)

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Thu Jul 12 06:14:57 PDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 3:08 PM, Javi Agenjo <[email protected]> wrote:

> so it should be possible by GPU manufacturers to add support for 10bits
> front/back buffers just by updating the drivers.

I'm not sure about that. You're assuming that the HW-acc rasterizer is able
to switch to different numerical formats depending on storage buffer
setting. However afaik the HW-acc rasterizer is essentially a fixed chunk
of silicone with very few logical path bits in it, and it might simply not
have the data lanes available for each pixel to be of higher precision and
only offer 24 lanes for the transport of pixel values.