[Public WebGL] WEBGL extension suggestion: EXT_shader_framebuffer_fetch

Ray Tran ([email protected]) [email protected]
Wed Aug 5 15:55:28 PDT 2020

Hello,

I wanted to get an update on the progress for adding the
EXT_shader_framebuffer_fetch extension to WebGL? Has there been any
further developments or consideration?

Something that I also wanted to share is some useful numbers I found
related to the performance gains that can be had on devices that
support the EXT_shader_framebuffer_fetch extension that I found - this
link refers to impressive performance gains of 28% (from 21fps to
27fps) in the Chrome Compositor running on the Tegra 3 based Nexus 7
Tablet (released in 2012):
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=436481.

I also want to just reiterate the importance (IMO) of allowing web
game and app developers to optimize for what may be considered weaker
and older GPUs, in order to be able deliver overall higher quality 3D
games and apps on a wider range of devices and therefore larger
audiences.

I look forward to seeing this extension proposal move forward.

Best regards,
Ray.