[Public WebGL] WebGL2 element array buffer and copy buffer (5.1 Buffer Object Binding)

Kevin Rogovin ([email protected]) [email protected]
Mon Jul 20 05:50:14 PDT 2020

Hi,

 Hopefully this thread necromancy will live on the correct thread still.

> ANGLE does use the GPU for robust buffer access when using the D3D11
backend (most windows users).  D3D9 always validates index ranges on the
CPU.  We also rely on the Vulkan or OpenGL extensions to do it when
available on other platforms.

What do people think of having an extension for WebGL2 that: removes the
restriction jazz of ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER and gives an assurance to an
application that robust access is used for fetching vertices via an index
buffer, i.e. the implementation won't induce a CPU inspect of an index
buffer.

I can draft the extension, but I would like to feel the water on this.

My use case, which a follow up question on a different thread will address
in more detail, is for GPU generated index buffers. Right now, I have
scenes where instancing is not sufficient but I manage to get the GPU to
generate my vertex buffers entirely. I have  a scene of 1.5 million
vertices; for these loads the actual vertex count is 1 million and the
index count is 1.5 million.; getting the index buffer generated by GPU is a
big performance gain for these kinds of scenes (something like 3N ms/frame
without index buffer and 2N ms/frame with index buffer) for some value of N.

Best Regards,
 -Kevin Rogovin