[Public WebGL] Status of EXT_clip_cull_distance ?

Ken Russell ([email protected]) [email protected]
Tue Jun 2 16:10:06 PDT 2020

Hi Kevin,

A change like this sounds fine. The best way to have it reviewed would be
to put up a pull request on https://github.com/KhronosGroup/WebGL modifying
the extension.xml. Check the other extension.xml files in the directory to
see how to list WebGL-specific behavioral changes in a structured manner.
Update the revision section, run "make" in your extensions/ directory to
make sure the generated HTML is as you expect, and then file the PR.

Thanks,

-Ken

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 1:11 AM Kevin Rogovin ([email protected])
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  There is a small chance that I might be able to get permission from
> my employer to implement this, atleast starting at ANGLE. However, I'd
> like to make a change request to ease the implementation burden and
> enlarge the class of hardware that can support it in native GLES3.
> Specifically, I'd like to change the minimum value of
> MAX_CLIP_DISTANCES_EXT from 8 to 0 for *just* the WebGL extension. The
> motivation is that if the value is 0, for desktop GL one can then
> write it for older GL (namely pre 4.x without GL_ARB_cull_distance)
> and for GLES3, one needs only the older Apple extension,
> GL_APPLE_clip_distance.
>
> What is the proper channel for the change request?
>
> Best Regards,
>  -Kevin
>
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 2:52 AM Jeff Gilbert ([email protected])
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > It's waiting on experimental implementations in browsers. It's still
> > on-track, but unfortunately, without browser engineering bandwidth to
> > write the implementations, it's in a holding pattern.
> >
> > On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 9:38 PM Kevin Rogovin
> > ([email protected]) <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >  The extension at
> > >
> https://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/EXT_clip_cull_distance/
> > > was promotoed to draft about a year ago, but nothing has happened for
> > > quite some time. Is the extension on track to be promoted further to
> > > approved and hopefully land in some browsers?
> > >
> > > Best Regards,
> > >  -Kevin

I support flexible work schedules, and I’m sending this email now because
it is within the hours I’m working today.  Please do not feel obliged to
reply straight away - I understand that you will reply during the hours you
work, which may not match mine.