[Public WebGL] Request for EXT_blend_func_extended as an extension in WebGL1 and WebGL2

Ken Russell ([email protected]) [email protected]
Tue Jun 2 17:47:23 PDT 2020

Hi Kevin,

Feel free to put up a pull request on
https://github.com/KhronosGroup/WebGL adding
a proposal under extensions/proposals/ . Please look at a recent change
like https://github.com/KhronosGroup/WebGL/pull/3074, and follow the
patterns you find in the other extensions. Please run "make" in your
extensions/ directory locally and make sure your XML validates and produces
the HTML you expect.

The rate-limiting step will be implementation. I found this note in the
ANGLE project:
https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/master:third_party/angle/src/libANGLE/renderer/gl/renderergl_utils.cpp;l=1467?q=EXT_blend_func_extended%20f:third_party%2Fangle

and this bug:
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/angleproject/issues/detail?id=2833&q=EXT_blend_func_extended&can=2

If it would make it easier to implement this extension only for WebGL 2.0
and ESSL 3.00 shaders, it would be worth limiting your WebGL extension
proposal to only WebGL 2.0.

We'd have to schedule this in with other work. More information about your
use cases would be helpful.

Thanks,

-Ken

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 9:42 PM Kevin Rogovin ([email protected])
<[email protected]> wrote:

> The extension provides dual source blending which is very useful for
> implementing 2D drawing to support a number of the Porter-Duff blend
> modes in conjunction with shader based coverage (to avoid MSAA).
>
> What is the proper channel to see this extension land as a WebGL1 and
> WebGL2 extension that will find its way to web-engine support?
>
> I confess that my primary use case is actually Electron rather than
> the web at large.
>
> Best Regards
>  -Kevin

I support flexible work schedules, and I’m sending this email now because
it is within the hours I’m working today.  Please do not feel obliged to
reply straight away - I understand that you will reply during the hours you
work, which may not match mine.